Thomas Vanek, Patrick Lalime practice
Cross Checks Blog
Scott Burnside and Pierre LeBrun write about all things happening in the NHL. Cross Checks
Vanek says he feels ready to play after skating Tuesday for the first time since sustaining a head injury in a 5-3 preseason win at Montreal last week. Lalime has been bothered by a groin injury.
Coach Lindy Ruff said there's a good chance for both players to be cleared to play Friday, when Buffalo opens at Ottawa.
Defenseman Craig Rivet has also been cleared to play after hurting his neck in practice on Sept. 24.
Ruff also said the Sabres waived fourth-line forward Matt Ellis, who will report to the minors if not claimed by another team.
Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Wings' Howard hurts knee; Zetterberg to IR
- Sens' Cowen docked 2 games for blow to head
- Lightning's Panik is suspended for 2 games
- Blackhawks chase Emery, rough up Flyers
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Reebok Men's Buffalo Sabres 2013 Center Ice Collection Navy Polo