Michael Leighton needs back surgery
Leighton has a bulging disc in his back and it was originally thought he could return by the end of the month. General manager Paul Holmgren says Leighton will have surgery on Monday.
Leighton was strong during last year's postseason and helped the Flyers make a surprise run to the Stanley Cup finals. He went 8-3 with a 2.56 goals-against average in 14 playoffs games and set a team playoff record with three shutouts as Philadelphia won its first Eastern Conference championship since 1997.
Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Ducks beat Kings after tying goal waived off
- Iginla's 2 goals give Bruins 8th straight win
- Bishop gets 31st win to set Lightning record
- Canadiens storm back to down Sens in OT
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Trademark Games Philadelphia Flyers Pub Table