Dion Phaneuf out at least four weeks
Phaneuf suffered a deep cut to his leg in the second period of Tuesday night's 3-2 loss to Ottawa. He got tied up with Ottawa's Peter Regin at 6:11 of the second period and fell awkwardly to the ice. He needed assistance to get to the team's dressing room.
The team said he had "successful" surgery on his leg. Phaneuf led Toronto in ice time per game this season before going down with the injury.
The 25-year-old has received criticism early this season, with Leafs GM Brian Burke holding an impromptu press conference during the first intermission of the game to scold fans who had booed Phaneuf during a 2-0 loss to the New York Rangers on Saturday night.
Defenseman Korbinian Holzer has been recalled to take Phaneuf's spot on the roster.
Information from The Associated Press is included in this report.
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Ovechkin nets 4 to key Caps to SO victory
- Rangers' Callahan (knee) to miss 4-6 weeks
- Bruins prevail in Iginla's return to Calgary
- Bettman: Players learning how to hit safely
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Reebok Men's Toronto Maple Leafs 2014 NHL Winter Classic Jersey