Marcus Vinnerborg to make history
Marcus Vinnerborg is set to become the first European referee to work an NHL game.
The International Ice Hockey Federation says the Swede has been assigned to work two games this week -- Anaheim at Dallas on Tuesday and San Jose at Colorado on Wednesday.
Vinnerborg was hired over the summer to work games primarily in the American Hockey League, while getting some work in the NHL.
Vinnerborg previously worked in the Swedish Elite League and has handled a number of major international assignments, including the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver.
Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Iginla gets 2 assists as Bruins top Flames
- Bruins' Thornton appeals 15-game penalty
- Keith, Blackhawks stay hot, top Predators
- Sharks beat Blues to sweep season series
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
MORE FROM ESPN LOS ANGELES
MORE FROM ESPN DALLAS
- Old Time Hockey Men's Anaheim Ducks Replicant Flex Hat