Wrist injury to sideline Pavel Datsyuk
Datsyuk left Detroit's 5-4 overtime win against the Canucks late in the first period Wednesday night after tripping over Vancouver's Mikael Samuelsson and landing on his right hand. Samuelsson and Datsyuk used to be teammates with the Red Wings.
"It's a big loss, he's one of the premier forwards in the NHL and he was playing real well," Red Wings general manager Ken Holland told ESPN.com Thursday morning. "Not one player can replace him but as a group we need everyone to chip and step up in their own way. I thought last night in the third period was a good example. Henrik Zetterberg was huge and other players also dug deep for us."
Datsyuk has 12 goals and 39 points in 33 games this season.
Information from ESPN.com's Pierre LeBrun and The Associated Press was used in this report.
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Pens' Neal banned five for intentional knee
- Malkin scores in return as Pens top Jackets
- Senators' Spezza scores SO winner vs. Flyers
- Penguins place Orpik on IR with concussion
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Reebok Men's Detroit Red Wings 2014 NHL Winter Classic Jimmy Howard #35 Red Premier Jersey