Chris Osgood has surgery on hernia
The team said Tuesday that Osgood underwent the operation in Philadelphia. The team says his recovery is expected to take six to eight weeks.
The 38-year-old missed all of November because of the injury.
Osgood has won three Stanley Cup titles with Detroit and has backed up Jimmy Howard for most of the last two seasons.
Last month, he became the 10th goalie to win 400 NHL games.
Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Ducks beat Kings after tying goal waived off
- Iginla's 2 goals give Bruins 8th straight win
- Bishop gets 31st win to set Lightning record
- Canadiens storm back to down Sens in OT
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Levelwear Men's Detroit Red Wings 2014 NHL Winter Classic Jimmy Howard #35 FX Highlight Reel T-Shirt