Sources: NHL to fine Ron Wilson
Players routinely put money on the board before games when there's something personal or meaningful about the matchup. Sharks forward Dany Heatley, who spent four seasons with the Senators before forcing a trade that landed him in San Jose, put up money for the Dec. 2 game in Ottawa, his first trip back since the trade (the Sharks won 4-0).
Wilson picked up his 600th NHL win Tuesday night, a 4-2 victory that meant a lot coming against his former team, which he coached for more than four seasons. Before the game, he reportedly put money on the board for his players to get the win.
A league source told ESPN.com that it was against league rules for a coach to do that and "it would be addressed."
A Leafs source confirmed to ESPN.com Thursday that the club would be fined.
Pierre LeBrun covers the NHL for ESPN.com.
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Struggling Flames fire GM Feaster, assistant
- St. Louis' SO goal delivers Lightning by Wings
- Jackets pounce early, extend Rangers' skid
- Iginla seals it as Bruins hold on vs. Oilers
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Antigua Women's Toronto Maple Leafs Blue Spark Polo