Alexander Edler to have back surgery
Edler, who leads the Canucks with 24 minutes of ice time a game and tops the team's defense with 32 points, missed Wednesday's game against Nashville. The team announced Thursday that he would have microdiscectomy surgery, which relieves pressure on a herniated disk.
There is no timeline for his return.
Edler, who plays on the top power-play unit and kills penalties, was injured during Monday's win against Dallas. The 24-year-old finished the game.
The Canucks are already without defensemen Andrew Alberts (shoulder) and Aaron Rome (knee), and have been missing veteran Sami Salo all season because of a torn Achilles tendon. Salo has resumed skating with the team but there is no timeline for his return.
Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Vanek helping authorities in federal probe
- Leafs hire analytics guru Dubas as asst. GM
- Stars agree to four-year deal with Roussel
- Kirilenko ends engagement to Caps' Ovechkin
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- New Era Men's Vancouver Canucks 9FORTY Blue Adjustable Hat