Coyotes' Ed Jovanovski to injured list
Coyotes coach Dave Tippett says Jovanovski underwent surgery Friday for an orbital bone fracture. He's expected to be sidelined for several weeks.
Jovanovski was injured late in the second period of Thursday night's 4-3 victory over Atlanta when he collided with the helmet of a Thrashers' player. He left the ice holding his hand over his left eye.
The 34-year-old Jovanovksi has five goals and nine assists in 47 games this season.
In another move, Phoenix activated defenseman David Schlemko from the injured reserve list and sent him to the team's San Antonio affiliate for conditioning. Schlemko has been sidelined since Jan. 17 with an upper-body injury.
The Pacific Division-leading Coyotes, winners of six straight, open a five-game road trip Saturday night at Nashville.
Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Wings' Howard hurts knee; Zetterberg to IR
- Sens' Cowen docked 2 games for blow to head
- Lightning's Panik is suspended for 2 games
- Carter, Jones help Kings to fifth straight win
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Antigua Women's Phoenix Coyotes Red Relax Long Sleeve Shirt