Chris Osgood placed on injured reserve
Osgood had surgery on Jan. 11 and was originally brought off the IR last week, but the team said he's still having issues.
"We don't know Chris' status heading into the playoffs," GM Ken Holland told The Detroit News. "He continues to experience soreness. We have to get him healthy. Right now, he's not close."
Before being sidelined, Osgood, 38, had a 5-3-2 record with a 2.77 goals-against average and .903 save percentage and became the 10th goalie in NHL history to record 400 career wins on Dec. 27.
Goalie Joey MacDonald was recalled from the team's Grand Rapids AHL affiliate.
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Peverley gets standing ovation at Stars game
- Penguins' Neal diagnosed with concussion
- Backstrom to get silver medal despite drug test
- Lundqvist ties Richter for Rangers' win record
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Trademark Games Detroit Red Wings Cue Rack