Crosby on Penguins' bench to start 3rd
DETROIT -- The NHL's biggest game of the year nearly lost its biggest star 5:38 into the second period Friday night.
Stanley Cup Playoffs Blog
Check out the latest updates and analysis from the 2009 Stanley Cup playoffs as our NHL crew weighs in:
• 2009 Playoffs blog
Crosby returned to Pittsburgh's bench at the outset of the third period. He didn't take his first shift until midway through the period.
Crosby was in obvious pain immediately after the hit and labored to get off the ice before going to the dressing room with the help of the team's training staff.
The Penguins won 2-1 and captured the franchise's third Stanley Cup.
Pierre LeBrun covers the NHL for ESPN.com. Information from the Associated Press was used in this story.
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Kunitz, Crosby lead Pens to 6th straight win
- Kings' Jones keeps win streak going vs. Sharks
- Miller lifts Sabres to rare 2-game win streak
- Flyers stun Jackets on Giroux's 2 late goals
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Old Time Hockey Men's Pittsburgh Penguins Black Carbon Full-Zip Track Jacket