- [+] EnlargeElsa/Getty ImagesThe Lightning's Steven Stamkos skates off the ice after being injured in the second period of Game 7 against the Bruins.
BOSTON -- Tampa Bay Lightning forward Steven Stamkos was hit in the face by a puck and briefly left Game 7 of the Eastern Conference finals against the Boston Bruins early in the second period on Friday night.
Stamkos was hit on the left side of the head off a hard shot from the right point by Bruins defenseman Johnny Boychuk and he immediately dropped to the ice. The referee waved for the trainer, but Stamkos got up and skated quickly to the Lightning bench, holding his face. There was some blood on the ice.
He was out for about five minutes, then returned with a full cage face shield on his helmet, in place of the visor he had been wearing.
The No. 1 overall draft pick in 2008, Stamkos tied for the NHL lead in goals last season and was second this season. He has six goals and seven assists in the previous 17 games this postseason.
Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Stars' Peverley collapses, game postponed
- Crosby fuels early flurry as Pens clip Caps
- Kings corral Flames to extend streak to 8
- Avs take fifth in 6 on Duchene's goal in OT
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Reebok Men's Tampa Bay Lightning Steven Stamkos #91 Home Blue Replica Jersey
- NHL Home
- Carolina Hurricanes
- Columbus B. Jackets
- New Jersey Devils
- New York Islanders
- New York Rangers
- Philadelphia Flyers
- Pittsburgh Penguins
- Washington Capitals
- Boston Bruins
- Buffalo Sabres
- Detroit Red Wings
- Florida Panthers
- Montreal Canadiens
- Ottawa Senators
- Tampa Bay Lightning
- Toronto Maple Leafs