Redden will return despite mother's death
OTTAWA -- Ottawa defenseman Wade Redden will play in Game 3 of the Senators' series with Tampa Bay despite the death of his mother on Saturday night.
Pat Redden died of cancer on Saturday night. She was 57. Wade Redden flew to Lloydminster, Saskatchewan, to be with his family, but TSN reported that he will be in Tampa for Tuesday night's third game of the series.
The Senators didn't say when Redden would return to the team. He missed Game 2 on Sunday.
"We're definitely going to miss him," said Senators captain Daniel Alfredsson. "There are things that are more important than hockey. He's going through a tough time and our thoughts are with him."
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Peverley gets standing ovation at Stars game
- Penguins' Neal diagnosed with concussion
- Backstrom to get silver medal despite drug test
- Lundqvist ties Richter for Rangers' win record
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- GameWear Ottawa Senators Classic Bracelet