Franzen practices, but won't play Game 1 of finals
Burnside's Finals Primer
On the brink of this Stanley Cup finals, there's no shortage of expectations, as Pens coach Michel Therrien tinkers with the lineup and the Wings' Chris Chelios claims he's ready despite injury. Scott Burnside
Franzen, the NHL leader this year in postseason goals with 12, has been out since Game 2 of the Western Conference finals and said he won't play Saturday night when Detroit takes on the Pittsburgh Penguins in the Stanley Cup finals opener.
"I'm out of shape, but otherwise I felt good," Franzen said. "We'll do some testing [Saturday]. It wasn't clear to me exactly what I have to do. It's day-to-day, checkups every day."
Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Wings' Howard hurts knee; Zetterberg to IR
- Sens' Cowen docked 2 games for blow to head
- Lightning's Panik is suspended for 2 games
- Blackhawks chase Emery, rough up Flyers
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Reebok Women's Detroit Red Wings Red Cuffed Pom Knit Hat