After finals, Babcock, Wings expect to have new deal
DETROIT -- Mike Babcock and the Detroit Red Wings expect to complete a new deal shortly after the season to keep the coach under contract next season and beyond.
"I'm not going anywhere," Babcock said Sunday, a day before he and the Red Wings had their first of three chances to beat the Pittsburgh Penguins for the Stanley Cup. "We just have a couple details to fix."
Red Wings general manager Ken Holland said the new contract was almost completed the day before the first round started, but both sides decided to put it on hold until the playoffs ended so that the story didn't distract from the team's quest for the Cup.
"As soon as the season is over, we'll get it done," Holland said. "I think it'll only take a meeting or two to put the finishing touches on it."
The Adams Award finalist has helped the Red Wings reach the Stanley Cup finals for the first time since they won their 10th title in 2002. They advanced to the conference finals last year and lost in the first round in 2006, Babcock's first season in Detroit.
The Red Wings won the Presidents' trophy this season and in Babcock's first season and tied Buffalo for the most points last year.
Babcock was hired away from Anaheim to replace Dave Lewis, who was not offered a new contract when the NHL resumed play three years ago following the lockout.
"It's been really good deal for me, and I hope it's been good for them," Babcock said. "We've won a lot of games. Obviously, we need to win another.
"We live in a great spot and my family is really happy here. We're around great people at home and here at the rink, where we work for a great people and a great owner."
Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press