Gomez replaces Roenick on U.S. roster
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. -- Jeremy Roenick of the Philadelphia Flyers withdrew from the U.S. World Cup team because of unspecified health reasons and was replaced by Scott Gomez of the New Jersey Devils on Wednesday.
Roenick, a 16-year NHL veteran, helped the United States win the silver medal at the 2002 Salt Lake City Games.
Gomez has played five seasons for New Jersey, including the Devils' Stanley Cup championship team in 2002-03. In 24 playoff games that season, he had three goals and nine assists. He had 70 points and 56 assists last season.
Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Peverley gets standing ovation at Stars game
- Penguins' Neal diagnosed with concussion
- Backstrom to get silver medal despite drug test
- Lundqvist ties Richter for Rangers' win record
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Antigua Women's Philadelphia Flyers Black Relax Long Sleeve Shirt