Milicic fined $14K by FIBA, reprimanded by Grizzlies for tirade
MADRID, Spain -- Memphis Grizzlies center Darko Milicic was fined nearly $14,000 by FIBA on Friday for a profanity-laced tirade at referees following Serbia's defeat at the European basketball championships.
Milicic, who signed a three-year deal with the Grizzlies in the offseason, made the comments -- directed at match officials Fabio Facchini, Virginijus Dovidavicius and Stelian Banica -- after Serbia's 68-67 loss to Greece on Tuesday.
Basketball's world governing body fined ...
Read full story
With two Olympic qualifying bids up for grabs at the FIBA Europe competition, many NBA stars excelled for their home countries in Madrid. Russia was the surprise winner, with Lithuania collecting the other Olympic berth with its third-place finish. (Runner-up Spain already qualified.)
News• Holden sinks winner to lift Russia to Euro title
• Spain upends defending champion Greece
• Papaloukas' layup caps Greece's rally at Euros
• Parker's missed FT helps Russia reach Euro semis
• Nowitzki leads Germany into Euro quarterfinals
• Greece wins as quarterfinal pairings take shape
• Spanoulis, Greece beat Croatia at buzzer
• Lithuania stays unbeaten, tops France
• Parker leads France past Dirk's German club
• Kirilenko paces strong Russian start
• France rolls past Olympic runner-up Italy
• Nowitzki's 35 lead Germans past Czechs
• Israel eliminates once-proud Serbs
• Milicic fined nearly $14K for outburst
Columns• Sheridan: Lessons for Team USA in Spain's pain
• Sheridan: Why Russian upset does U.S. proud
• Sheridan: U.S. scouts discuss NBA-caliber players
• Sheridan: French miss their connections
• Sheridan: Predictions for two quarterfinal games
• Sheridan: Unbeaten Lithuania looking for title
• Sheridan: Learning Greek from "Socrates"
• Sheridan: An American's Russian front
• Sheridan: My espaņol not good, but games are