Ruling would extend Hondo ban for full two years

Updated: March 9, 2007, 2:10 PM ET
Associated Press

LAUSANNE, Switzerland -- German cyclist Danilo Hondo's doping ban must be extended to ensure he serves the full two-year penalty, the Court of Arbitration for Sport ruled Friday.

Hondo twice tested positive for the stimulant carphedon at the 2005 Tour of Murcia in Spain.

His suspension was to end on March 31, but a local court in Switzerland temporarily lifted the sanction last year, allowing him to take part in races again until the Swiss supreme court upheld the ban in January.

CAS said Friday that the original dates of the suspension had been "rendered void."

"It is now for the parties to calculate the terms of the suspension," CAS secretary-general Matthieu Reeb told The Associated Press.

Hondo challenged his ban through a little-known provision in CAS statutes that allows residents of Switzerland to appeal to a provincial court. Hondo has a home in the southern part of the country.

Non-Swiss residents can only challenge CAS rulings at the Federal Tribunal -- Switzerland's highest court -- and only if the case was run "manifestly contrary to the general principles of law."


Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press