Governor: Tour of Missouri should go on

Updated: July 14, 2009, 5:53 PM ET
Associated Press

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. -- Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon says the 2009 Tour of Missouri should go on.

Nixon announced Tuesday that $1.5 million in state funds can be spent on the September race.

The Democrat's administration had blocked the money last week and was considering eliminating it altogether. Race organizers said cutting the money would have forced the race's cancellation.

Nixon says he believes the Tour of Missouri should go forward. He's allowing the $1.5 million to be spent after tourism and race officials agreed to share spending details with his administration.

About 15 professional teams are expected to participate in one of the few highly rated professional bicycle races outside Europe, including the Astana team for which Lance Armstrong and Alberto Contador ride.


Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press