Alberto Contador files doping defense

Updated: November 26, 2010, 1:18 PM ET
Associated Press

MADRID -- Alberto Contador has submitted his official defense for a failed Tour de France doping test, giving the Spanish cycling federation documents he claims will show contaminated meat was to blame.

Contador spokesman Jacinto Vidarte told The Associated Press on Friday that Contador accompanied his lawyers to the federation's headquarters to hand over the necessary documentation.

The 27-year-old Spanish cyclist risks losing this year's Tour title and could face a two-year ban if found guilty of using clenbuterol, a banned muscle-building and weight-loss steroid.

Contador says beef bought from Spanish border town Irun caused the failed July 21 test.

The federation's disciplinary committee had opened the case earlier this month.


Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press

ALSO SEE