Plushenko to skate in native Russia
MOSCOW -- Vancouver Olympics silver medalist Evgeni Plushenko says he plans to skate at the 2014 Sochi Games in his native Russia.
Plushenko says Monday in comments carried by Russian state news agencies that he "proved" his ability during the Vancouver Games, where he narrowly finished second to American Evan Lysacek. Plushenko also has a gold medal from the 2006 Turin Olympics and a silver from 2002.
The 27-year-old Plushenko spoke at a Kremlin ceremony where President Dmitry Medvedev awarded him the Order of Merit for the Motherland for his Vancouver performance. Many Russians felt Plushenko, who came out of a three-year retirement, was robbed of first place last month.
Plushenko will be in Turin next week for the World Figure Skating Championships.
Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- LeBron in Vegas with Wade; no decision yet
- Phil hasn't heard from Melo, still confident
- Cards' Molina has torn ligament, needs surgery
- Mo' money: NFL teams split $6B in revenue
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Zephyr Men's USA Hockey Uppercut Navy/Red Flex Hat