Ex-national team captain tagged to replace Hlinka
PRAGUE, Czech Republic -- The Czech Republic moved quickly to replace late hockey coach Ivan Hlinka, turning the national team over to former Olympic captain Vladimir Ruzicka on Tuesday.
Hlinka, the former Pittsburgh Penguins' coach who led the Czech Republic to a gold medal in the 1998 Nagano Olympics, died Monday after a car crash. He was 54.
The 41-year-old Ruzicka, the captain of the 1998 Olympic team, will direct the team in the World Cup of Hockey. He spent five seasons in the NHL with Edmonton, Boston and Ottawa.
Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press
MORE OLYMPICS HEADLINES
- Durant, USA pull away from Spain to win gold
- Clippers' Paul has successful surgery on thumb
- Schmitt back to school after Olympic stardom
- Olympian Raisman, Poland Spring sign deal
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Reebok Youth Boston Bruins Grey Pro Slant Long Sleeve Shirt