Pair joins Habscheid behind bench
They will join head coach Marc Habscheid behind the bench.
Renney, in his fifth season with the Rangers, is no stranger to the international game. He coached Canada at three world championships (1995, 1996 and 2000), and to the silver medal at the 1994 Olympics in Lillehammer, Norway.
He served as an assistant at the world championships last year, winning gold alongside head coach Mike Babcock. Renney has spent most of the NHL lockout scouting players in Europe.
MacTavish will be representing Canada for the second time this season, having served as an assistant in December at the Loto Cup in Piestany, Slovakia. In four seasons as coach of Edmonton, the Oilers compiled a 149-111-47-16 record. MacTavish won four Stanley Cups as a player, three with the Oilers and one with the Rangers.
Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press
MORE OLYMPICS HEADLINES
- Durant, USA pull away from Spain to win gold
- Clippers' Paul has successful surgery on thumb
- Schmitt back to school after Olympic stardom
- Olympian Raisman, Poland Spring sign deal
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Zephyr Men's New York Rangers Uppercut Red/Black Flex Hat