Navarro to miss Spain's first-round game with leg muscle tear
SEVILLE, Spain -- Spain will be without shooting guard Juan Carlos Navarro for the first round of the European basketball championships because of a muscle tear in his right leg.
"This is really a setback, having really worked hard over the past month," said Navarro, who plays for the Memphis Grizzlies in the NBA. "But I'm not worried. We've got enough players to replace me."
Navarro will miss Spain's Group A opener against Portugal, as well as matches against Latvia and Croatia.
Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press
With two Olympic qualifying bids up for grabs at the FIBA Europe competition, many NBA stars excelled for their home countries in Madrid. Russia was the surprise winner, with Lithuania collecting the other Olympic berth with its third-place finish. (Runner-up Spain already qualified.)
News• Holden sinks winner to lift Russia to Euro title
• Spain upends defending champion Greece
• Papaloukas' layup caps Greece's rally at Euros
• Parker's missed FT helps Russia reach Euro semis
• Nowitzki leads Germany into Euro quarterfinals
• Greece wins as quarterfinal pairings take shape
• Spanoulis, Greece beat Croatia at buzzer
• Lithuania stays unbeaten, tops France
• Parker leads France past Dirk's German club
• Kirilenko paces strong Russian start
• France rolls past Olympic runner-up Italy
• Nowitzki's 35 lead Germans past Czechs
• Israel eliminates once-proud Serbs
• Milicic fined nearly $14K for outburst
Columns• Sheridan: Lessons for Team USA in Spain's pain
• Sheridan: Why Russian upset does U.S. proud
• Sheridan: U.S. scouts discuss NBA-caliber players
• Sheridan: French miss their connections
• Sheridan: Predictions for two quarterfinal games
• Sheridan: Unbeaten Lithuania looking for title
• Sheridan: Learning Greek from "Socrates"
• Sheridan: An American's Russian front
• Sheridan: My espaņol not good, but games are