Milicic fined $14K by FIBA, reprimanded by Grizzlies for tirade
MADRID, Spain -- Memphis Grizzlies center Darko Milicic was fined nearly $14,000 by FIBA on Friday for a profanity-laced tirade at referees following Serbia's defeat at the European basketball championships.
Milicic, who signed a three-year deal with the Grizzlies in the offseason, made the comments -- directed at match officials Fabio Facchini, Virginijus Dovidavicius and Stelian Banica -- after Serbia's 68-67 loss to Greece on Tuesday.
Basketball's world governing body fined Milicic $13,770.
Serbia finished last in Group A, winless in three games for its worst finish in the tournament since its maiden appearance as Yugoslavia in 1947.
Grizzlies general manager Chris Wallace and coach Marc Iavaroni called Milicic on Thursday to communicate their displeasure about the comments, The Commercial Appeal of Memphis reported Friday.
"We're very displeased with Darko's actions and comments," Wallace said. "It's an emotional situation playing in national competition, particularly with Serbia, because they take pride in having good teams. But Darko has to be in control of his emotions."
Milicic, who was selected No. 2 overall in the 2003 NBA draft by the Detroit Pistons, averaged eight points and five rebounds last season for Orlando.
Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press
MORE OLYMPIC BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Durant, USA pull away from Spain to win gold
- Clippers' Paul has successful surgery on thumb
- Schmitt back to school after Olympic stardom
- Olympian Raisman, Poland Spring sign deal
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
With two Olympic qualifying bids up for grabs at the FIBA Europe competition, many NBA stars excelled for their home countries in Madrid. Russia was the surprise winner, with Lithuania collecting the other Olympic berth with its third-place finish. (Runner-up Spain already qualified.)
News• Holden sinks winner to lift Russia to Euro title
• Spain upends defending champion Greece
• Papaloukas' layup caps Greece's rally at Euros
• Parker's missed FT helps Russia reach Euro semis
• Nowitzki leads Germany into Euro quarterfinals
• Greece wins as quarterfinal pairings take shape
• Spanoulis, Greece beat Croatia at buzzer
• Lithuania stays unbeaten, tops France
• Parker leads France past Dirk's German club
• Kirilenko paces strong Russian start
• France rolls past Olympic runner-up Italy
• Nowitzki's 35 lead Germans past Czechs
• Israel eliminates once-proud Serbs
• Milicic fined nearly $14K for outburst
Columns• Sheridan: Lessons for Team USA in Spain's pain
• Sheridan: Why Russian upset does U.S. proud
• Sheridan: U.S. scouts discuss NBA-caliber players
• Sheridan: French miss their connections
• Sheridan: Predictions for two quarterfinal games
• Sheridan: Unbeaten Lithuania looking for title
• Sheridan: Learning Greek from "Socrates"
• Sheridan: An American's Russian front
• Sheridan: My espaņol not good, but games are
Blog• Hollinger: Serbia hits new nadir
- adidas Men's Memphis Grizzlies Zach Randolph Replica Revolution 30 White Basketball Jersey