Coaches chosen as award co-recipients
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. -- Mike Krzyzewski and Geno Auriemma, both coming off milestone NCAA victories, have been chosen as co-recipients of USA Basketball's Coach of the Year award.
Krzyzewski led an inexperienced U.S. men's team to its first world championship since 1994 and became the first four-time recipient of USA Basketball's honor. He tied Dean Smith for second place on the career victories list Monday when top-ranked Duke beat Elon for his 879th win.
Auriemma's top-ranked Connecticut women tied the record of 88 consecutive victories set by the UCLA men in the 1970s. He led a roster loaded with his former Huskies to the gold medal after the Americans had finished third four years ago.
Both coaches won national titles last season.
Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press
MORE OLYMPIC BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Durant, USA pull away from Spain to win gold
- Clippers' Paul has successful surgery on thumb
- Schmitt back to school after Olympic stardom
- Olympian Raisman, Poland Spring sign deal
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's Duke Blue Devils Black #1 Replica Basketball T-Shirt