LONDON -- NHL MVP Alex Ovechkin is offering his help to organizers of the first Winter Olympics in his native Russia.
The Washington Capitals star, who has earned the Hart Trophy as league MVP the past two seasons, will be an "official ambassador" for the 2014 Sochi Games, organizers said Monday.
Ovechkin led the NHL in goals this past season with 56, and became the first repeat MVP since Buffalo's Dominik Hasek in 1997-98. Ovechkin played for Russia at the 2006 Turin Olympics and is expected to lead the team at next year's Winter Games in Vancouver.
The announcement of his role with Sochi coincided with celebrations marking the two-year anniversary since the Black Sea resort was awarded the Games.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE OLYHOCKEY HEADLINES
- Durant, USA pull away from Spain to win gold
- Clippers' Paul has successful surgery on thumb
- Schmitt back to school after Olympic stardom
- Olympian Raisman, Poland Spring sign deal
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Reebok Boys' Washington Capitals Alexander Ovechkin #8 Red Replica Jersey