Bode Miller finishes third
MUNICH -- Ivica Kostelic of Croatia and Maria Pietilae-Holmner of Sweden won the debut parallel slalom events, which were open to the top 16 men and women in the World Cup standings.
Bode Miller took third for the U.S. and Lindsey Vonn went out in a quarterfinal matchup against Pietilae-Holmner in the side-by-side racing that drew 25,000 fans to Olympiapark in downtown Munich on Sunday.
Kostelic beat Julien Lizeroux of France over two heats in the final by a total of 1.61 seconds.
Miller earned third by defeating Felix Neureuther of Germany by 0.05 seconds.
Pietilae-Holmner trailed Tina Maze of Slovenia by 0.12 seconds after the first heat of their final, but came back to win by 0.47 seconds.
Elisabeth Goergl of Austria beat Daniela Merighetti of Italy for third.
Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Seahawks' Lynch plans holdout over contract
- Paul: Sitting out possible if Sterling remains
- Cavs still out front in Love talks, sources say
- Harden's 'cornerstones' belief miffs Parsons
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Zephyr Men's USA Hockey Uppercut Navy/Red Flex Hat