Former priest to stand trial
LONDON -- The former priest from Ireland who sabotaged the men's Olympic marathon by tackling the race leader was ordered Thursday to stand trial in Britain next month on child indecency charges dating to events from more than 10 years ago.
Neil Horan, also known as Cornelius Horan, is charged with two counts of indecency with a child. The alleged offenses are said to have taken place between September 1990 and April 1993. He has denied both charges.
Judge Michael Carroll set the trial for Oct. 25 and ordered Horan to remain in London until then and report to police daily.
Horan this week received a one-year suspended sentence by a Greek court for ambushing Brazil's Vanderli de Lima in Sunday's marathon.
The ex-priest, who says he is highlighting the "second coming of Christ," pushed de Lima into the crowd after leaping onto him during the final day of the Athens Games. De Lima struggled to get back his rhythm and finished the race third.
Horan has a history of interrupting international sports events. He ran onto the track at the British Grand Prix Formula One race last year as cars whizzed by and was forcibly removed.
Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press