Italy's Bastianelli tests positive for stimulant, reports say
ROME -- Cyclist Marta Bastianelli, who is scheduled to compete for Italy in the Beijing Olympics, has tested positive for a banned substance, Italian news reports said Monday.
Bastianelli tested positive for a banned stimulant during a screening conducted July 5 by the International Cycling Union during the under-23 European championships in northern Italy, the ANSA news agency reported.
The cycling union said it could not comment on the report.
The 21-year-old cyclist won the road race at the world championships in Stuttgart, Germany, in September. The Italian Olympic Committee said that if the positive test were confirmed she would be automatically excluded from the team.
Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
MORE OLYMPICS HEADLINES
- Durant, USA pull away from Spain to win gold
- Clippers' Paul has successful surgery on thumb
- Schmitt back to school after Olympic stardom
- Olympian Raisman, Poland Spring sign deal
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Old Time Hockey Youth USA Hockey Zach Parise #9 Grant Navy Hoodie