Olympics Sports >> Archery
THE 4 EVENTS
- Men (2 events): Individual and team
- Women (2 events): Individual and team
- Qualifying rounds classify 64 competitors in men's and women's singles and 12 teams (men and women) in the team event. Then a knock-out phase leads to the final.
Archery appears for the first time at the Olympic Games in Paris.
Women are allowed to compete in archery at the Olympic Games.
After a 52 year absence archery again becomes an Olympic sport.
First archery world championships.
Return of the team competition as an Olympic event.
First indoor Olympic archery world championships.
- Hubert van Innis (Belgium)
A history in gold. In 1900, the Belgian master opened his Olympic account with two gold medals and a silver. 20 years later in Antwerp, he performed even better winning four golds and two silver. In total, he won a record nine archery Olympic medals.
- Darrell Pace (United States)
Double individual Olympic champion in 1976 and 1984, he also won two world titles in 1975 and 1979 (both individual and team). World record holder over one round for ten years (1341 points).
- Kim Soo-nyung (South Korea)
4 Olympic gold medals, 1 individual in 1988 at 17-years-old and 3 in team events in 1988, 1992 and 2000. Double individual world champion in 1989 and 1991 and winner of four team world titles between 1989 and 1995. Also a multiple world record holder.
Copyright 2008 Agence France-Presse.