Commission set for swimsuit approval
ROME -- Swimming's governing body has announced the five members of the scientific commission that will oversee approvals for swimsuits.
FINA said Saturday the commission will be led by Jan-Anders Manson of the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Lausanne.
The other members include David Pendergast of the State University of New York in Buffalo, Brian Blanksby of the University of Western Australia and Shigahiro Takahashi of Chukyo University in Japan.
Retired swimmer Rafael Escalas of Spain, president of swimwear manufacturer AgonSwim, is the athletes' representative.
On Friday, FINA set a firm date of Jan. 1 for banning polyurethane bodysuits.
Besides approval, the commission will also monitor developments in suit technology.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Sources: Jets, ex-Titans RB Johnson agree
- Bucks announce sale of team, won't move
- Thompson likens Griffin to 'bull in china shop'
- Bale's goal gives Copa to Real Madrid
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Women's USA Hockey Navy Tri-Blend V-Neck T-Shirt