MEXICO CITY -- Mexico's top Olympic-medal recipient has died at the age of 81.
His wife says Olympic diver Joaquin Capilla died of natural causes on Saturday and was buried on Sunday.
Carmen Capilla said she was by her husband's side at the time of his death.
In the 1948 games in London, Capilla, then 19, won a bronze medal for platform diving. Four years later in Helsinki, he won a silver medal, again for platform diving. In 1956 in Melbourne, Australia, he took home a bronze medal for springboard diving and a gold for platform diving.
He later taught diving in Mexico City, inspiring a new generation of competitors.
Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Bynum to make Pacers debut against Celtics
- Sources: Johnson to Bucs on massive deal
- Source: Ware wants Cowboys' call by 4 ET
- Stars' Peverley collapses, game postponed
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Old Time Hockey Men's USA Hockey Olin Grey T-Shirt