Dominguez testifies, denies doping

Updated: December 22, 2010, 9:05 AM ET
Associated Press

MADRID -- World steeplechase champion Marta Dominguez denied involvement in doping after testifying before a judge Wednesday in the Spanish anti-doping investigation Operation Galgo.

"I am innocent and I will return to competition as soon as I recover from my pregnancy," she told reporters after spending 2½ hours in a closed session at the Madrid court.

The 35-year-old Dominguez was one of 14 people detained on Dec. 9 after the Spanish Civil Guard found anabolic steroids, hormones, bags of blood and blood-doping equipment in raids across the country.

Dominguez said nothing had been confiscated from her home and denied dealing doping substances. She said she was implicated through wiretaps.

"A lot of damage has been done to my image, my family and my loved ones," she said.

Dominguez, who is four months' pregnant and has not been competing, has previously denied any wrongdoing.

Other suspects include her coach Cesar Perez, former European 5,000-meter champion Alberto Garcia and Eufemiano Fuentes, the doctor at the center of cycling's Operation Puerto probe.

The Spanish athletics federation has said that Dominguez, who also is a two-time European 5,000-meter champion and one of Spain's most decorated athletes, will be stripped of her medals if found to have been involved in the doping ring.

More than 350 Spanish track and field coaches released a statement on Tuesday giving their support to the anti-doping investigation. They said the "suspects should be investigated to the full extent."

Galgo, which means "greyhound" in Spanish, is the third recent Civil Guard investigation into doping in sports after Operation Puerto -- a massive investigation that led to bans for cyclists Alejandro Valverde and Ivan Basso -- and last year's Operation Grial.


Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press

ALSO SEE