Wang easily defends 500 title
Ford: Broken Records
Everything about short-track speedskating goes by in a blur, so it's no surprise that the Olympic record time in the women's 500-meter event would fall three times in a single night, writes Bonnie Ford. Blog
VANCOUVER, British Columbia -- Wang Meng of China has easily won her second consecutive Olympic gold medal in women's 500 meter short track.
Wang, who defended the title she won four years ago at the Turin Games, led all the way Wednesday night after surviving a restart and a false start in the four-woman final at Pacific Coliseum.
Wang cruised home well ahead of Canada's Marianne St-Gelais, who took silver. Arianna Fontana of Italy earned the bronze.
Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press
MORE OLYMPICS HEADLINES
- Durant, USA pull away from Spain to win gold
- Clippers' Paul has successful surgery on thumb
- Schmitt back to school after Olympic stardom
- Olympian Raisman, Poland Spring sign deal
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's Russia Hockey Legend Red T-Shirt