Big Cat Batter
Contributed by: Lee Fultz of Ellettsville, Ind.
Here's an all-purpose fish batter that works especially well on large and
often strong-tasting catfish.
1. Trim fillets carefully and slice into ¼-inch slices.
2. Heat peanut or vegetable oil to 400 degrees in a deep fryer or heavy-duty pot.
3. In a large bowl, combine equal parts all-purpose flour and cornmeal. For every cup of flour and cornmeal mixture, add 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon garlic powder and ½ teaspoon black pepper.
4. Beat eggs in a bowl. Dip sliced fillets into beaten egg.
5. Coat fillets with the flour and cornmeal mixture.
6. Using tongs, carefully place fillets into hot oil and fry for 5 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
Editor's tip: For best results and milder flavor, remove the red portions of large catfish fillets before cooking. Rinse trimmed fillets with cold water and dry thoroughly with paper towels and keep cold until ready to fry.