LAKE WHEELER, Ala. Counting bonus money for daily lunker prizes, Tommy Martin of Hemphill, Texas, pocketed $15,400 for winning the Classic.
Martin's haul of 33 pounds, 7 ounces was enough for him to hold off Roger Moore of Branson, Mo., and made Martin the first pro to win a regular-season tournament and the Classic in the same year.
Martin alternated between a white Weed-Wader spinnerbait (to which he added a trailer hook) and shad-colored crankbaits, Rebel Super-Rs and Bagley Balsa-Bs.
He found most of his success fishing on a steep, rocky bank where the water dropped off from a few feet deep to more than 20 feet.
• The 1974 Classic was Tommy Martin's first. He became the only pro to win a BASS tournament and the Classic in his first year on the trail.
• This was Classic legend Rick Clunn's first world championship event. He finished 16th.
Top 6 finishers
1. Tommy Martin Hemphill, Texas 33-07
2. Roger Moore Branson, Mo, 29-01
3. Bobby Meador Baton Rouge, La. 24-08
4. Ricky Green Arkadelphia, Ark. 22-04
5. Charlie Campbell Forsyth, Mo. 22-02
6. Roland Martin Tulsa, Okla. 21-07