CURRITUCK SOUND, N.C. Opening day of Classic V was a blissful bass bash.
Twenty-five of the 30 BASS pros boated the North Carolina eight-bass limit.
Jack Hains of Rayne, La., was crowned champion and won a check of $15,950 for catching 18 bass weighing 45 pounds, 4 ounces.
Hains cast purple/yellow-tail plastic worms, Johnson Silver Minnow spoons and Fleck Weed-Wader spinnerbaits around man-made wooden structure, such as duck blinds, piers and pilings.
• North Carolina's Paul Chamblee led the first two days of the Classic, but failed to catch a bass in the final round.
• Tom and Don Mann became the first brothers to qualify for the Classic in the same year. They finished fifth and 22nd, respectively.
• Bill and Gregory Ward became the first father-and-son duo to compete against each other in the Classic. They finished 28th and 26th, respectively.
Top 6 finishers
1. Jack Hains Rayne, La. 45-04
2. Marvin Baker Broaddus, Texas 39-12
3. Paul Chamblee Raleigh, N.C. 38-07
4. Tommy Martin Hemphill, Texas 33-01
5. Tom Mann Eufaula, Ala. 32-15
6. Bo Dowden Natchitoches, La. 32-10