Famed blue-collar racer from Texas pushed his cars to the very limit
A.J. Foyt is the only man to win the Indy 500 (four times), the Daytona 500, the 24 Hours of Le Mans and the 24 Hours of Daytona. The best race car driver in history? Do you have to ask?
Updated: May 23, 2008, 1:19 PM ETBy Terry Blount | ESPN.com
INDIANAPOLIS -- The racing legend was busily giving instructions in his Gasoline Alley garage stall the day before Indy 500 pole qualifying.You don't interrupt the master when class is in session, but A.J. Foyt had a big smile on that unmistakable round face as he lumbered over to talk.Being voted the best race car driver in history made the old guy perk up and strut a little, although it's tough for him these days. A crash two decades ago ...
Read full story
Read full story
TOP 25 DRIVERS OF ALL TIME
Top 25 Video
The Top 25• Monday
25. Steve Kinser
24. Nigel Mansell
23. Don Garlits
22. Niki Lauda
21. Shirley Muldowney
20. Darrell Waltrip
19. Emerson Fittipaldi
18. Alain Prost
17. Bobby Unser
16. Tony Stewart
15. Al Unser
14. Cale Yarborough
13. Jackie Stewart
12. John Force
11. Rick Mears
10. Jeff Gordon
9. Juan Manuel Fangio
8. Jim Clark
7. David Pearson
6. Richard Petty
5. Ayrton Senna
4. Michael Schumacher
3. Dale Earnhardt
2. Mario Andretti
1. A.J. Foyt
More Stuff• Monday
Blount: A nearly impossible task
All-Time NASCAR fantasy bargains
Page 2: Hollywood's big wheels
McGee: The King is sixth? We need a recount!
Blount: Foyt did it all
Blount: The Top 25 in 2025
Newton: Smoke has his say, and he says A.J.
Newton: Allison seems like a big omission
Knutson: The F1 drivers; who made it, who didn't
Oreovicz: The Indy contingent
Stephens: The NHRA represents
SportsNation Ranker: Give us your list
The Voters• Kenny Bernstein -- Six-time NHRA champion with four Funny Car titles and two Top Fuel titles.
• Terry Blount -- ESPN.com motorsports writer.
• Tim Brewer -- ESPN NASCAR commentator and two-time Cup championship crew chief.
• K. Lee Davis -- ESPN.com motorsports editor.
• Mike Dunn -- ESPN analyst for NHRA events and one of only four drivers with 10 or more career victories in Top Fuel and Funny Car.
• Ray Evernham -- ESPN NASCAR analyst and crew chief for three of Jeff Gordon's four Cup championships.
• A.J. Foyt -- Four-time Indy 500 winner.
• Scott Goodyear -- ESPN IndyCar analyst, former IndyCar racer and member of the Canadian Motorsports Hall of Fame.
• Jeff Gordon -- Four-time Cup champion in NASCAR.
• Mike Harris -- Long-time auto racing writer for the Associated Press.
• Dale Jarrett -- ESPN NASCAR analyst and 1999 Cup champion.
• Dan Knutson -- Formula One writer for ESPN.com.
• Ryan McGee -- Motorsports writer for ESPN The Magazine and ESPN.com.
• Juan Pablo Montoya -- Current Cup driver, 1999 CART champion, 2000 Indy 500 winner and former Formula One driver.
• John Oreovicz -- American open-wheel racing writer for ESPN.com.
• Richard Petty -- Seven-time Cup champion in NASCAR.
• Marty Reid -- ESPN motorsports broadcaster.
• Tony Stewart -- Two-time Cup champion in NASCAR and 1997 IRL champion.
• Rusty Wallace -- ESPN NASCAR analyst and 1989 Cup champion.