Earnhardt's Nationwide car impounded for altered spoiler
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- Speedweeks at Daytona International Speedway hasn't been perfect for Dale Earnhardt Jr. after all.
The No. 5 car Earnhardt will drive in Saturday's Nationwide Series opener was impounded by NASCAR on Thursday night after officials discovered the team altered the spoiler to create an aerodynamic advantage following inspection.
The car was returned on Friday morning minus the trunk lid and spoiler, repaired and sent back through inspection. It will be allowed to run in the race.
Joe Balash, the Nationwide Series director, said further sanctions against the team and crew chief Chad Walter will be issued on Tuesday. NASCAR officials considered sending Walter home because the offense was considered blatant, but opted to hold off on what could result in a suspension.
Rick Hendrick is listed as the car owner, but the car is co-owned by Hendrick and Earnhardt and run by JR Motorsports in Mooresville, N.C.
Tony Eury Sr., the competition director at JR Motorsports, said Earnhardt and Hendrick weren't "too happy" with what happened. He said the company could take action against Walter on top of what NASCAR does."That's not something either of them approve of," Eury Sr. said. "Neither side [NASCAR or Earnhardt] is happy about it."
JR Motorsports officials learned of the incident during the first of Thursday's 150-mile qualifying races for Sunday's Daytona 500. Earnhardt, who won Budweiser Shootout on Saturday, won the race to keep his record at Hendrick Motorsports perfect.
Earnhardt was not told about the infraction until later.
David Newton covers NASCAR for ESPN.com.
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Serena Williams wins 6th Australian Open
- Kaminsky leads No. 5 Wisconsin past Iowa
- Tiger tumbles out of top 50 in world ranking
- Chancellor probable after late-practice injury
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
More Sprint Cup Coverage• Monday Rundown: Big opening weekend
• Newman: McCauley shares in emotional win
• Ryan Newman takes on Mike & Mike
• Jayski podcast: What a finish in Daytona
• Blount: Newman, Penske and Dodge golden
• Zoom Gallery: 50th running of the Daytona 500
• Newton: Junior's storybook start has so-so ending
• Ashenfelter: Hornish 'masterful' at Daytona
• Newman delivers Daytona 500 win for Penske
• Notebook: No Wood Brothers entry in 500
• Blount: Ganassi hoping merger rumors true
• Newton: Salley says he wants to own Cup team
• McGee: Little double-dipping at Daytona
• Blount: Bowyer's 07 takes beating
• Blount: All aboard the Earnhardt Express
• The Eliminator: Take Gordon, please
• Inside The Hauler: Controversy doesn't stir JJ
• ESPN.com's Top 25 Drivers vote | Rank 'em
• Kyle Busch worried about tires in Daytona 500
• Jayski podcast: Looking ahead to Sunday
• Insider: Dr. Jerry Punch on Mike Tirico Show
• Duels: Newton | Blount | Recap | 500 grid
• Jayski podcast: The Duels and The King
• Newton: Hendrick leader of Chevrolet pack
• Blount: Feel-good afternoon at Daytona
• Newton: Junior off to blazing start
• Vickers, Wallace hitch onto Daytona 500 field
• Cowlishaw's Power Rankings: JJ No. 1
• Newton: Ford teams unite
• Blount: Gatorade Duels mystify
• Jayski podcast: Kyle Busch and more
• Newton: Who's leading Dodge?
• Garrow: Daytona 500 preview
• Door-To-Door: Jarrett's Daytona dream
• Notebook: Jarrett says no to Reutimann's ride
• Newton: Probation right call for Stewart, Busch
• Jayski podcast: Stewart ain't talking about it
• Blount: Fairy-tale ending at Daytona?
• Blount's Blitz: Let the Junior comparisons begin
• Jayski.com's Mark Garrow wraps up Week 1
• Newton: Beware of Toyotas
• McGee: 500 turns 50 ... Zoom Gallery
• Blount: 2008 a matter of redemption
• Newton: 2007 in rearview mirror
• Jayski: How do you make the Daytona 500?
• JJ on 500 pole | Speeds | Grids: Duel 1 | Duel 2
• Blount: Waltrip goes from disgraced to embraced
• Newton: Junior Nation alive and well
• Smith: Eury dedicates Shootout win
• Newton: Get your No. 3 commemorative die-cast
• Blount: Junior wins quickly | Shootout recap
• Newton: Interchangeable cars? Not quite
• Sources: Stewart punched Kurt Busch
• Ashenfelter: Hamlin's '07 a learning experience
• Inside The Hauler: Martin not looking back
• Blount: Big weekend with Shootout, Pole Day
• Newton: Reality check for McMurray
• McGee: 'Shifting Gears' with Junior
• Ashenfelter: Truex now the man at DEI
• Marty Smith's Door-To-Door: Valentines for Liam
• Blount: Who are these open-wheel guys?
• Blount: Daytona 500 victory or Cup title?
• Blount's Blitz: Boys will be boys
• Ashenfelter: Bowyer drawing lofty comparisons
• McGee: 50 things you need to know
Nationwide Series• Stewart smokes 'em from pole ...
• 2008 season preview
• Ashenfelter: Opener no lock for Harvick
• Dale Jr.'s Nationwide ride impounded for spoiler
• Ashenfelter: Coleman ready for full-time gig
• Mark Garrow previews the series
• Ashenfelter: Times change, but maybe not at top
Craftsman Truck Series• Notebook: Unfinished business for Skinner
• Schwarb preview: It's the Ron & Jack Show
Blogs• Breeze: The scissors were ready for Smoke
• Newton: Judd settles for jeans on race day
• Newton: NASCAR tells Judd to dress down
• Blount: Moonshiner Johnson's come full circle
• Newton: Ashley who? Say hello to Ingrid
• Newton: NASCAR must rule on Judd's dress
• Blount: Junior still sells big
• Smith: Smoke vs. Busch? All good
• Blount: Say what? Media Day talkers
Fantasy• The Good, The Bad, The Ugly: Daytona 500
• Harris: Spin The Black Circle
• Daytona 500 fantasy rankings
• Fantasy Focus Weekly
• Chat wrap: Garrow on Fantasy NASCAR
• ESPN.com experts' Mock Draft
• Engel: Stock car strategy guide
• ESPN Fantasy Stock Car 2008
• ESPN Stock Car Challenge
• 2008 ESPN Fantasy Draft Kit
SportsNation• Chat wrap: Jayski
• Chat wrap: Analyst Brad Daugherty
• Chat wrap: ESPN.com writer Tim Cowlishaw
• Chat wrap: Sprint Cup driver Sam Hornish Jr.
• Chat wrap: David Newton and Terry Blount
• Chat wrap: ESPN.com writer Terry Blount
• Chat wrap: ESPN analyst Rusty Wallace
• Chat wrap: Jayski.com's Mark Garrow
• Chat wrap: ESPN.com writer David Newton
• Chat wrap: Driver Ryan Newman
• Chat wrap: Driver Jamie McMurray
• Chat wrap: ESPN.com writer Terry Blount
• Chat wrap: Jayski.com's Jayski
• Chat wrap: NASCAR Now's Nicole Manske
Classic 500s• McGee: Blizzards, the King and a fight
• McGee: Cope with a surprising victory
• McGee: Finally, one for the 3
• McGee: The Kid against the world
• McGee: It was Harvick by a nose