Edwards plummets in Chase standings after disastrous weekend at Charlotte
What does humble pie taste like? After the weekend he had at Lowe's Motor Speedway, Carl Edwards has a good idea, writes David Newton.
- It began when Edwards was forced to pit on Lap 52 with a loose wheel. He appeared to have gotten a break when AJ Allmendinger crashed, bringing out a caution.But before he got to the end of pit road -- at least according to NASCAR -- leader Johnson passed him on the track to put him a lap down. Edwards and crew chief Bob Osborne argued feverishly with NASCAR that they got out ahead of Johnson and later that they deserved the free pass, but the governing body didn't agree."This is a joke," Osborne radioed. "This is unbelievable." It got more unbelievable as Edwards attempted to pit again under caution. As he pulled from his stall the crew radioed, "Back up! Back up!" so they could tighten a loose lug nut.But the real trouble didn't begin until Lap 67, when Edwards' car began having ignition troubles. Stalled on the track, he needed a push from a tow truck to get back to pit road.He sat there for 16 laps as crew members scrambled to fix the problem that didn't get corrected until both ignition boxes were replaced. By then Edwards was headed for consecutive finishes outside the top 16 for the first time this season in a car he thought was good enough to win."That's the frustrating part," Edwards said. "There's nothing wrong with the car now. It's real fast. It just took too long to fix that."Edwards entered the Chase on a roll with three wins and seven top-10s in seven races. His worst finish during that stretch was a 13th at Richmond.He began the Chase with a bang as well, finishing third at New Hampshire and Dover and second at Kansas after a last-lap pass of Johnson left him against the wall.[+] EnlargeAP Photo/Gerry BroomeCarl Edwards sat on pit road for 16 laps while his crew worked on the 99's ignition.
I can guarantee you that if I had the week to do over again, the last seven days would be a lot different.
-- Carl Edwards
MORE RACING HEADLINES
- Keselowski passes Dale Jr., wins Las Vegas
- Keselowski holds on for Vegas N'wide win
- Ganassi inks Kwasniewski in development deal
- Ku. Busch to try Indy 500-Coca Cola 600 double
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
ESPN.com: Help | Press | Advertise on ESPN.com | Sales Media Kit | Interest-Based Ads | Corrections | Contact Us | Site Map | Jobs at ESPN | Go.com