Earnhardt will get back in Chase contention with victory at Talladega
The Eliminator: Talladega
Updated: October 3, 2008, 10:15 AM ETBy Matthew Willis | ESPN.com
One thing's for sure in the Chase so far: The Eliminator is just not performing.The numbers might never lie, but the picks of Jeff Gordon, Clint Bowyer and Mark Martin have been bordering on downright average. Maybe the numbers are just misleading.But what better place to get back on a roll than Talladega? One of the most -- if not the most -- unpredictable tracks on the circuit. A blown tire, a patch of oil or just a slip in concentration can cause half the field to get knocked out. The fastest cars aren't that much better than the slowest ones, and it comes down to strategy and finding friends at the right time.Not the sort of thing easily predicted by numbers, but I'll give it a shot.Or maybe I'm better staking my claims on some other methods this week. Let's give these a shot
• This race is the AMP Energy 500. Dale Earnhardt Jr.'s sponsor is AMP. He's your pick this week.
• The year: 2008. The driver in the No. 08? Boris Said. I'm going Bo-Said this week.
• Or, I could just pick a name out of a hat. Bam, Reed Sorenson. Give me Sorenson this week.
- The past 10 Talladega winners had finished in the top 15 of that season's Daytona 500. (31 drivers eliminated, 15 remaining)
Drivers eliminated: Aric Almirola, Dave Blaney, Clint Bowyer, Patrick Carpentier, Carl Edwards, David Gilliland, Jeff Gordon, Denny Hamlin, Jimmie Johnson, Matt Kenseth, Travis Kvapil, Terry Labonte, Sterling Marlin, Michael McDowell, Jamie McMurray, Casey Mears, Paul Menard, Juan Pablo Montoya, Joe Nemechek, David Ragan, Tony Raines, David Reutimann, Scott Riggs, Boris Said, Ken Schrader, Mike Skinner, Regan Smith, Martin Truex Jr., Mike Wallace, Michael Waltrip, Jon Wood.
- The past seven restrictor-plate race winners had finished in the top 10 in the previous plate race. (10 drivers eliminated, five remaining)
Drivers eliminated: Greg Biffle, Jeff Burton, Kevin Harvick, Sam Hornish Jr., Bobby Labonte, Ryan Newman, Elliott Sadler, Reed Sorenson, Tony Stewart, Brian Vickers.
- The past four fall Talladega winners had finished in the top 10 in the previous Talladega race. (Three drivers eliminated, two remaining)
Drivers eliminated: Kurt Busch, Robby Gordon, Kasey Kahne.
- No driver has won three restrictor-plate races in a season since 1990. (One driver eliminated, one remaining)
Driver eliminated: Kyle Busch.
- And your winner is: Dale Earnhardt Jr.
MORE RACING HEADLINES
- Ives to serve as Earnhardt crew chief in '15
- Hamlin's crew chief Grubb suspended 6 races
- Chase drivers can't attend Homestead tire test
- Gordon passes Kahne for fifth Brickyard win