- David Newton, ESPN Staff Writer
- 0 Shares
MARTINSVILLE, Va. -- Ford Racing has reinforced the importance of NASCAR's Sprint Cup Series to the manufacturer under tough economic times by reaching a five-year deal to remain with Roush Fenway Racing.
But Ford will pull its financial support in the Craftsman Truck Series beginning next season.
Team owner Jack Roush assured that Ford has not pulled support from the Cup program.
"Ford has made us a commitment for five years going into the future that we feel is adequate to our needs for the support that comes from manufacturers," Roush said before Sunday's race at Martinsville Speedway.
Roush has been with Ford since he got into NASCAR in 1988. His organization owns five of the eight Cup teams currently funded by the manufacturer and has an alliance with two more at Yates Racing.
The single-car team of the Wood Brothers is the only other one that runs fulltime in NASCAR's premiere series, although Yates plans to expand to three teams in 2009.
The withdrawal of financial support in the Truck Series was purely an economical decision. It is the second big hit for that series, which lost Dodge support earlier this year.
Unlike Dodge, Ford will continue to provide technical support and engineering.
"We remain positive about the performance of our teams and their dedication to the company during these challenging times," said Brian Wolfe, the director of Ford Racing Technology.
David Newton covers NASCAR for ESPN.com. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.