Petty Enterprises, Labonte plan announcements Thursday morning on future
CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Petty Enterprises plans to make an announcement regarding its future on Thursday morning, sources told ESPN.com.
Details of the announcements were not immediately known, but the Pettys have been in negotiations with Gillett Evernham regarding a possible merger into a four-car team.
GEM officials said they had no plans for an announcement.
Whether Labonte, who signed an extension with the Pettys earlier this year when the organization sold majority interest to Boston Ventures, will remain in the 43 or go elsewhere also is not known.
The 43 lost its primary sponsor, General Mills, to Richard Childress Racing and has been unable to secure sponsorship for 2009.
Officials at Petty Enterprises and GEM were not immediately available for comment.
David Newton covers NASCAR for ESPN.com. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
MORE RACING HEADLINES
- Kurt Busch testifies, says ex refused to leave
- Sprint to end NASCAR sponsorship after '16
- NASCAR driver Vickers undergoes heart surgery
- Keselowski: I respect foes, but my job is to win