Harvick still talking with RCR
TALLADEGA, Ala. -- Kevin Harvick says he doesn't know where he'll drive next season, but it's fair to say he will remain with Chevrolet.
Harvick said Friday at Talladega Superspeedway that he's had "many, many, many" conversations with team owner Richard Childress about staying with Richard Childress Racing when his contract expires after this season.
He did not elaborate when asked if he's had conversations with other owners, such as Chevrolet owner Tony Stewart, with whom he reportedly was linked last season.
But Harvick made it clear he's burnt no bridges with RCR, where he has driven in the Sprint Cup Series since replacing the late Dale Earnhardt in 2001.
He also made it clear that, because he uses Chevrolet with his Nationwide and Truck Series organization, he doesn't plan to switch manufacturers.
"Richard Childress and myself, we've got a great relationship," said Harvick, who is fourth in points after missing the Chase last season. "We've been talking about a lot of things for several months. It's not anything different than we normally do at this time. The cars are running well. Everybody is communicating well.
"I don't know what else to say other than Richard and I have had many, many, many conversations over the last several months. What that means? Right now I'm driving the No. 29 car."
Regardless of where Harvick goes, he'll have a new sponsor in 2011. Shell/Pennzoil announced earlier in the week it is moving to Kurt Busch in the No. 22 car at Penske Racing next year.
Brad Keselowski will move into Busch's ride in the No. 2 at Penske, with Miller Lite remaining the sponsor.
"I don't have any ill will toward anybody or anything like that," Harvick said. "I don't particularly agree with the way the whole situation was handled. . . . There's sponsors that come and go. This particular situation there were a lot of business-to-business decisions that took place."
Penske, which is losing Mobil One as a sponsor after this season, made a deal with Shell/Pennzoil that includes its three IndyCar teams and dealerships.
Sources close to the situation said RCR has had discussions with Budweiser, which is shopping for a new driver because its contract with Kasey Kahne expires after this season.
On Thursday, Harvick took issue on Twitter with stories involving sources on his future. Asked to clarify his future, he said: "If you're going to quote a source, quote their name. If they're too chicken to give their name, don't put their name in the paper. Anonymous sources are crap."
David Newton covers NASCAR for ESPN.com. He can be reached at email@example.com.
MORE RACING HEADLINES
- Kid Rock to perform pre-race at Daytona 500
- Wallace gets Xfinity ride with Roush Fenway
- Kurt Busch testifies, says ex refused to leave
- Sprint to end NASCAR sponsorship after '16