Reutimann talking extension with MWR
"I'm looking for us all to get on the same page so we can get it done," Reutimann said Wednesday at Charlotte Motor Speedway, where he was promoting the upcoming Coca-Cola 600 he won a year ago. "I'm not running around the garage talking to anybody.
"They put something in front of me and we're working around some things. Hopefully, we'll be able to come up with a good compromise where everybody is going to be happy."
Reutimann said there are no major sticking points for either side that should keep him from re-signing from the team.
"Contract stuff, you have to go back and forth a little bit," he said, noting he's never had a real negotiation in the past. "I'm trying to get used to that. Usually I just walk in, 'Yeah, you want me to drive? Where do I sign?' "
Reutimann, 40, began driving full-time for MWR in 2007. He won his first Sprint Cup race in last year's rain-shortened event at Charlotte Motor Speedway.
Despite struggling this season with one top 10 in 11 races and ranking 24th in points, he feels good about the direction of the Waltrip team. He reminded reporters that bad luck, such as getting caught on pit road with a top-five car when caution came out last weekend at Darlington, has followed him.
"They've been very good to me," Reutimann said of MWR. "I don't not like where I am. I like the people around me. I like our team and what we've got going on there. It's something I think we need to keep going."
David Newton covers NASCAR for ESPN.com. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.