Source: Harvick extends with Childress
CONCORD, N.C. -- Sprint Cup point leader Kevin Harvick has agreed to an extension with Richard Childress Racing, a source close to the situation confirmed on Friday.
RCR has scheduled a news conference for Saturday at 3:15 p.m. ET at Charlotte Motor Speedway. Team owner Richard Childress said only that he planned to discuss several organizational matters.
Harvick declined to acknowledge the deal, which Childress told ESPN.com three weeks ago would be completed by the end of May. The Charlotte Observer first reported the deal was done on Friday.
"I don't have anything new to report today," Harvick said. "Soon as we get it all to report we'll go ahead and do that. Nothing new to report today."
Among the details to be worked out are sponsorship. Shell/Pennzoil announced last month it would leave Harvick after this season and move to the No. 22 car of Kurt Busch at Penske Racing in 2011.
Childress recently said there were several sponsors interested in the No. 29, including some that aren't currently in the sport.
Harvick began his Cup career at RCR in 2001, replacing Dale Earnhardt after he was killed on the final lap of the Daytona 500. He has 12 career wins, including one two weeks ago at Talladega Superspeedway.
But there was a time last season when it appeared Harvick would not return to RCR. He reportedly wanted out of his contract to sign with Stewart-Haas Racing and through much of the season declined to talk about his status with Childress.
"There was a time when we didn't know if we would be back together," Childress said last week at Darlington. "Then we got some things worked out and we feel good about it."
David Newton covers NASCAR for ESPN.com. He can be reached at email@example.com.
MORE RACING HEADLINES
- Kurt Busch testifies, says ex refused to leave
- Wallace gets Xfinity ride with Roush Fenway
- Kid Rock to perform pre-race at Daytona 500
- Sprint to end NASCAR sponsorship after '16