Former college fullback keeps running for Red Bull pit crews
Former college football player Mike Metcalf still gets in the thick of the competition as the gas man for the No. 84 team.
Mike Metcalf suffered two knee injuries and one heartbreak as a football player at Appalachian State University. The cause of the heartbreak? He left the school just one year before it started its current run of three state national championships. He almost took a redshirt, which would have allowed him to play on that first team in 2005.
• Sprint Cup team: No. 84 Red Bull Racing [driven by Scott Speed]
• Age: 26
• Job: Gas man, assembly teardown
MORE RACING HEADLINES
- Wallace Jr. wins Eldora's Mudsummer Classic
- Elliott holds off Bayne for Nationwide win
- Stewart wins in return to sprint car racing
- Jones docked 10 points following Iowa victory