Former college fullback keeps running for Red Bull pit crews
Former college football player Mike Metcalf still gets in the thick of the competition as the gas man for the No. 84 team.
Mike Metcalf suffered two knee injuries and one heartbreak as a football player at Appalachian State University. The cause of the heartbreak? He left the school just one year before it started its current run of three state national championships. He almost took a redshirt, which would have allowed him to play on that first team in 2005.
• Sprint Cup team: No. 84 Red Bull Racing [driven by Scott Speed]
• Age: 26
• Job: Gas man, assembly teardown
MORE RACING HEADLINES
- Kurt Busch testifies, says ex refused to leave
- Wallace gets Xfinity ride with Roush Fenway
- Kid Rock to perform pre-race at Daytona 500
- Sprint to end NASCAR sponsorship after '16