- Angelique S. Chengelis, NASCAR
- 0 Shares
Understandably, Dario Franchitti has not been in the best mood.
He is a little more than a week removed from being informed by team owner Chip Ganassi that his Sprint Cup team, with no sponsorship, would be shut down.
"It was a big shock that it happened," Franchitti said Thursday. "Myself and 70 people lost their jobs in Concord. A lot of people are upset right now, but I understand if there's no money, there's no money.
Franchitti is racing again for Ganassi this weekend -- in the Nationwide series.
The two men are expected to meet Friday to discuss Franchitti's future with the team. Meanwhile, Franchitti said his phone has been ringing, and he has been hearing about options from a number of "different places."
"Tomorrow is quite a big day with this meeting with Chip," Franchitti said. "We're starting to look around, starting to talk, [but] nothing is going to happen until I talk to Chip and see what his plan is for the future and see if it's something I'm interested in. I certainly owe Chip that much."
Franchitti also believes that if possible, he owes it to himself to remain in the Sprint Cup series.
"I haven't weighed anything yet, because I don't know what the options are," he said. "Right now, I don't know. It would be a shame to come over here, make that transition and start that learning curve and really start to get a hang of it.
"The last month, we started to run really well -- the results don't show it, but we were running top 15 every week, top 10. I really feel we're getting there. It would be a shame to quit now. But if I can't get the right opportunities then I'll look elsewhere for sure. At this point, there are a lot of different things that excite me."
Angelique S. Chengelis is a contributor to ESPN's NASCAR coverage.
Dario Franchitti is racing again for Ganassi this weekend -- in the Nationwide series.