MADISON, Ill. -- The owner of Gateway International Raceway has notified NASCAR that it will not seek to hold Nationwide Series and Camping World Truck Series races next year.
Dover Motorsports Inc. said in a release Wednesday that it was evaluating options for the track including a possible sale. Gateway general manager Terry Harmeson said the decision was made after several years of trying to develop a market for the events.
A power failure near the track earlier this month forced Gateway to hold Nationwide and Camping World races on the same day. Attendance was spotty for that double-header, especially the truck race.
Gateway has another Nationwide race this year set for Oct. 23, with Danica Patrick among the drivers expected to compete.